The difference between an Audiologist and an Audiometrists

A Better Ear - Hearing clinics

What kind of hearing care specialist do you need?

Hearing clinics deal with all manner of different conditions. A typical week at A Better Ear might include diagnosing and treating hearing loss related to age, noise exposure, wax build-up and even the impact of ototoxic medications (medications that are harmful to the organ of hearing).

We see people suffering from tinnitus, (i.e., ringing in the ears), sudden onset hearing loss, patients with mild to severe hearing loss, single-sided deafness, and we even see people who happily, have no hearing loss at all. We advise on the clinical appropriateness of all manner of hearing devices, including assisted listening devices, cochlear implants, Bluetooth, and rechargeable hearing aids, and more. We perform adjust, monitor, and maintain hearing devices to meet prescription, as well as facilitate servicing and repairs. The list of complexities goes on and on.

With such a broad scope of practice within hearing care, its important when researching an Audiology clinic in the Redlands, to understand a little about the qualifications and expertise of the hearing care professionals you are consulting with. Whilst an Audiologist sounds like the same thing as an Audiometrists (and unfortunately the term is largely interchangeable in Australia), the two roles are considerably different. Those differences have consequences for patients seeking an informed opinion.

In this article we briefly explore and explain these terms, their range of skill and training belonging to each, and their relative scopes of practice.

What can an Audiologist help with?

An audiologist in Australia must undergo extensive training, completion of an undergraduate degree, followed by a Post Graduate Diploma or Master’s Degree (Post Graduate Diploma in Audiology, Masters of Audiology), then 12 months of fulltime internship in order to obtain accreditation.

An audiologist’s scope of practice might include;

  • Diagnostic hearing tests
  • Complete auditory rehabilitation
  • Medical reporting to general practitioners, speech pathologists, and specialist physicians including psychologists
  • Tinnitus treatment and management plans  
  • Central auditory processing testing
  • Hearing and communication counselling
  • High frequency testing
  • Balance problems and disorders of the vestibular system e.g., vertigo
  • Education and training on communication tactics
  • Fitting hearing devices and adjusting them to prescription
  • Perform maintenance and services on hearing devices
  • Programming and monitoring implants like cochlear implants (CI) and bone anchored hearing aids (BAHA)
  • Advice and fitting of hearing aids, cochlear implants, bone anchored devices, and assisted listening devices
  • Custom moulded earplugs for sleep, musician, and noisy work environments
  • Earwax removal  

What can an Audiometrists help with?

An Audiometrists training includes successful graduation from a two-year diploma (or Diploma of Hearing Device Prescription, or Diploma of Audiometry) and two years of clinical practice.

Their scope of practice may include:

  • Assess hearing via diagnostic testing
  • Recommend and fit hearing aids
  • Custom moulded earplugs for sleep, musician, and noisy work environments
  • earwax removal  
  • Perform maintenance and services on hearing devices
  • Fitting hearing devices and adjusting them to prescription
  • Advise on selecting hearing aids, cochlear implants, bone anchored devices, and assisted listening devices

Book your appointment today

Naturally enough, an online search of “Audiology clinic near me” or “Audiologist hearing test” will return results for hearing clinics. However, some of those clinics, will be staffed by Audiometrists. If your hearing loss stems from a medical matter, it’s more likely to be identified and understood by an Audiologist who can not only explain and treat more effectively, but also reliably refer to other medical professionals including your general practitioner.

When investing time and money on the diagnosis and treatment of ear related problems, ensure that the clinic you see has a masters qualified and registered Audiologist who understands patient-centred care and can treat your enquiry from a medical standpoint.

At A Better Ear our Audiologist is so passionate about providing the best-in-class hearing care, she opened her own independent clinic. To book your consultation, please call us at A Better Ear on 3821 3744.  

Disclaimer: All information is general in nature. Patients should consider their own personal circumstances and seek a second opinion. Eligibility for, and services available under the Hearing Services Program may change. Please check the HSP website for up-to-date details.